Nova Scotia Seafood Accelerator Program
Perennia is pleased to introduce its first Seafood Accelerator Program for Nova Scotia’s seafood sector.
The focus of this program is to support:
- access to new markets through support for eligible companies obtaining a Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification to open new export markets or maintain current ones,
- improvement of current seafood value-added products (either in market or a ready-to-commercialize prototype with a waiting market) through technical support, and
- successful commercialization of new Nova Scotia value-added seafood products into recognized markets with sales longevity
This program is funded under the provincial Building for Tomorrow Fund and is available until March 31, 2021. Intake is ongoing while funds are available. Projects must be completed by March 31 in the year they are approved, so early application is recommended.
Who is eligible?
The following are the eligibility requirements for all components of the Seafood Accelerator Program. All relevant information must be completed on the appropriate form when applying to allow program administrators to verify these requirements have been met. Applicants must:
- have a head office and licensed seafood processing facility in Nova Scotia,
- demonstrate they are meeting the current federal and provincial inspection, regulation and licensing requirements,
- have controls in place to ensure the product is handled properly during processing and results in a final product that is not tainted, decomposed, or unwholesome, and
- not be in contravention of provincial or federal laws related to the fishery
MARKET ACCESS FOOD SAFETY PROGRAM
This program focuses on assisting companies to overcome a specific food safety requirement or obstacle that is preventing them from entering a new market, or in keeping markets open when requirements change.
Specifically, this program will support a limited number of companies with:
- obtaining Global Food Safety Initiative (GSFI) certification which will in turn open more export markets
- meeting the food safety requirements of new markets to support market entry or market expansion
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
This series of programs is meant to support the successful commercialization of current and new Nova Scotia seafood value-added products. This is done through market validation, prototype product development, and scale-up support with the intent to have the product successfully reach the intended market with sales longevity.
Special consideration will be given to those companies utilizing seafood waste or by-products in their products.