Technical Obstacles Program

This initiative is intended to assist companies with products already in the marketplace, or those ready to go to market with a technical issue that is keeping or prohibiting a product from entering a new market or limiting its current market success.  There is no application deadline for this program at this time, but potential applicants are encouraged to apply early as funding is limited.

Who is eligible?

  • Nova Scotia-based agriculture producers or agri-food and beverage processors with a product already on the market or with a buyer seeking to purchase your product
  • A product that. at a minimum, contains at least 20 percent Nova Scotia-based agricultural products as ingredients

What are eligible activities?

  • Adjusting your formulation (recipe) to achieve a better or different product
  • Determining and/or extending your product’s shelf-life
  • Analytical testing of bioactive compounds (e.g. vitamin levels, anthocyanins, etc.)
  • Analytical testing to provide evidence that a product and/or process has met expectations
  • Optimizing your package (e.g. choosing the best packaging format for your product to extend it’s shelf life and maintain quality characteristics)
  • Developing step-by-step production methods (e.g. developing a method to create a fruit puree, drink or how to freeze dry product)
  • Producing samples on a small scale for a test market (e.g. spray or freeze drying product, bottling)

What funding is available?

Funding is available to a maximum of $5,000 per annum per applicant.

Is there an equity requirement?

Yes. Projects are cost-shared to a maximum of 50/50 with applicants (for example, a $4,000 project would receive $2,000 in funding).  Applicants must pay 20 percent of their contribution for the project to begin, with the remaining 80 percent of their contribution due at project completion.

What is the application process and requirements?

  • Complete the application form specific to this program.
  • Incomplete applications will not be considered for funding so please ensure you submit a completed application.  All information will be kept confidential and used for application assessment purposes only.
  • Once an application is received, applicants should be prepared to be contacted by a Perennia team member to get further information or to have follow up questions answered.
  • Applications will be reviewed quickly for approval so projects can move forward.
  • Successful applicants must be able to complete payment of 20 percent of their portion of the project before work begins.
  • Status of your application can be checked by e-mailing info@perennia.ca